Monday, August 16, 2004

Recall Recalled :-(

I dowloaded Recall yesterday, blogging whilst doing the installation. Sadly, it does not work I get a .NET exception error ("Server Error in '/' Application. Object reference not set to an instance of an object") each time I try to use it. I've taken it off my system, pending getting it working. I suspect it may be a problem with my combination of Windows XP SP2 and the Whidbey beta possibly colliding with Recall (I've sent email and I'll post any resolution to this blog).

This is a bit of a shame - as the product looks most useful. Ahh - the joys of beta software!

As an aside, it seems to me that WinFS, with it's longer term ability to make searching fast and flexible, has generated some real short-term competition. Products like Lookout and Recall provide today what Longhorn may deliver some years down the road - and thus far, these are free. No, they are not as grand and glorious as the vision WinFS (and all of Longhorn) will one day become. But they're tools that help me today to manage the information overload that seems to be much of my working day.

No comments: