Wednesday, April 14, 2004

How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

I run Windows Sever 2003 on my laptop. While to many this seems crazy, you have to understand that I do a lot of work on server - I write about it, I lecture on it, I play with it. And as I'm on the road so often, running the server edition just seems to make sense. But it's NOT Windows XP.

In general, I totally agree with the decisions to make server 'different' - remove games, etc, etc. If anything, I was highly vocal in the beta forums to make it so!! But having said that, I still run Server on my laptop and really would like to get some of the workstation functionality. I've worked out most of the tricks to make Server behave sensibly (eg play sound, burn CDs, etc), then I stumbled over the site: How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!

This is pretty much the definitive source on how to get your server OS to run like a workstation. If you are a geek like me, this is a great site. But remember: this stuff is NOT supported!!! It is, however, cool!

No comments: